January 07, 2009

On The Fritz

January 7th, 2009. While Judy and Elroy were home over holiday break we visited the Fritz Scholder exhibit at the National Museum of the American Indian (NMAI). I've always felt this museum is confusingly organized and not easy for the casual viewer to come away with much information. However, I really wanted to see this exhibit which had been reviewed favorably in the Washington Post. I thoroughly enjoyed this exhibit; Scholder's art reminds me of a cross between Frederick Remington and Andy Warhol's classic pop art. imagine that!

The NMAI exhibition, Indian/Not Indian, calls the late Fritz Scholder (1937-2005) one of the most influential American artists of the 20th century. I don't know about that but I did really enjoy the exhibit and what little of his art I was able to download online, some of which are below. Indian/Not Indian is organized around a central paradox of Scholder's life and work—his complex identity as a person of French, German, English, and American Indian ancestry. Some of his works are copied below, enjoy.










No comments: