March 18, 2008

Waiting For George

March 18th. I went out for a run this morning without Jane because her knee has been bothering her. When I returned home I went into the back yard to go in through the basement and there were these two guys, one sitting on the porch steps and the other dude just standing in the backyard. Other than the fact that there were two strangers I've never seen before hanging out in my backyard, I didn't feel threatened but we sorta just eyed each other for a fraction of a second before I said hello and enquired what they were doing.
"We're supposed to do something here today," the dude who was standing said.
Okay, so they were probably here to work on the house or the yard... or something. Of course, maybe the something they had to do was break-in and loot the house.
So the dude who was standing said. "Is this your house?"
I said, yeah.
Then the dude said, "What's your name?"
I said, what? (because the dude spoke with a strong Hispanic accent)
"What's your name," he asked again.
XXXXX, I said (thinking to myself, why am I telling this dude my name)
I was starting to feel a little uncomfortable about where this conversation was going and feared the next question would be something like "can you squeal like a pig?" so I moved so that my back was to the basement steps and I could either defend myself or run inside quickly if the situation turned ugly.
Then the dude said (pointing to his friend sitting on the steps), "We're waiting for George. He said he'd be here by 7:30."
AAhhh, I thought to myself, waiting for George (the foreman for our renovation). I looked at my watch which read approximately 7:20 and told them that they had another 10 minutes until 7:30.
So then the dude asked me, "Did George do the porch."
I explained to them that George had built the porch and also the bedroom addition as they both nodded approvingly. Of course, they could have equally been sizing-up how best to come back tonight and break-in, I wasn't quite sure, so I told them that I'm sure George would be here any minute and quickly went into the basement and locked the door. It would have been nice for George to alert us to expect some day laborers this morning. As I left to go to work, I did see George's car and Jason's pick-up, so I suppose the backyard is getting graded and seeded today.

2 comments:

Michael P. Rellahan said...

Why are there no photos of the interior of the addition as it stands today? Inquiring minds want to know.

Jetson said...

I keep forgeting (or have been too lazy) to take new pictures to post. I'll get to it. Thanks for the nudge.