April 01, 2008

DNF

So Jane and I ran in the HAT 50K last weekend. I ran this trail ultramarathon last year under an assumed name.....one of our running friends had signed-up for the race but couldn't go so I went in his place......and finished in approximately 6 hours 50 minutes. It's a tough course made even tougher this year with some additional course changes that resulted in more changes in elevation....10K feet in all if you do the entire course. The course consists of three loops; an initial 4-5 mile loop and then two loops of 13.7 miles each. This year Jane also ran, but with a bum IT band was only going to do the first two loops consisting of about 18 miles. As I was nearing the end of the second loop I heard what I thought was Jane yelling for me off in the distance and could just barely see her off a ways and decided to end my race there, go catch up with her, and we finished the second loop together and went home.....tired but not exhausted. About 400 runners assembled at the starting line for the 9:00 AM start of the race (see picture above left); about 325 finished. The rest of us Did Not Finish (DNF).
At right is a picture of me chugging up the first big hill and in the second photo (see below) way at the back I think is Jane. The beginning was really pretty cold (in the 30s) with a stiff wind blowing. The cold wind gave me some asthma problems but I was running pretty slow at the beginning.....well I was running pretty slow throughout but that's beside the point. However, once we were in the woods the weather wasn't too bad and it did warm up some. All in all, it was a very nice day and I'm glad Jane and I got to hook-up at the end to run/walk the final couple of miles......mostly all of which was going down a steeply graded road only to have to trudge back-up a equally steeply graded hiking trail. Making our way up the hiking trail the first couple of male finishers went swooshing by but they seemed very nice. One of them said Jane and I were doing a good job. Yeah, we're all winners.......just like on the Uncle Al show (that's for you Mike).

No comments: