April 14, 2008

The San Diego Zoo

April 14th. I spent my first full day in San Diego going to the San Diego Zoo. From my hotel I took the trolley to the City College station and switched to the #7 bus to Balboa Park and the San Diego Zoo. The 1915-16 Panama-California Exposition commemorating the opening of the Panama Canal provided a major impetus for the creation of Balboa Park as it appears today and it serves as a central hub for museums, performing arts venues and outdoor gardens. I didn't go to any of the museums but I did rather like the desert garden shown at left. In the zoo I saw a number of animals that I had never seen in person before and a few I was able to photograph.
One of the first scenes you see upon entering the zoo grounds is a spectacular pool filled with pink flamingos. All the flamingos would simultaneously dip their heads into the water and then raise their heads up....I don't know whether they were drinking or what but it was amusing to watch.


A Galapagos Tortoise.

A Meerkat. Everybody liked the Meerkats, and below a sleepy Kuahla Bear.


A wild Boar. This guy was really ugly.

A male orangutan.
A magnificent male Bonobo Chimpanzee.

Taking the cable car ride back to the zoo entrance.

No comments: