January 31, 2008

"Earlham Can Use a Guy Like Elroy"

This is has to be one of my favorite opening moments from a movie.....Of course, the movie was Risky Business starring Tom Cruise.

The dream is always the same.

Instead of going home,I go to the neighbors'.

I ring, but nobody answers.

The door is open, so I go inside.

I look around, but no one seems to be there.

Then I hear the shower running.

So, I go upstairs to see what's what.

Then I see her.

This... girl!

This incredible girl!

I don't know why she's there because she doesn't live there...

...but it's a dream, so I go with it.

"Who's there?" she says.

"Joel," I say.

"What are you doing here?"

"I don't know. "

"What are you doing here?"

"I'm taking a shower," she says.

Then I give her...

..."Do you want me to go?"

"No," she says.

"I want you to wash my back."

I'm getting enthusiastic about this dream.

So, I go to her, but she's hard to find through all the steam.

I keep losing her.

Finally, I get to the door...

...and I find myself in a room full of kids taking their College Boards.

I'm over three hours late!

I've got two minutes to take the whole test.

I've just made a terrible mistake.

I'll never get to college.

My life is ruined.



Now, I have a similar dream only my dream is about my kids not getting into college or not being able to afford going to the colleges they've been accepted to. Why am I worrying about this now? Even though we've spent so much effort the past year thinking about where Elroy and Judy would be going to college I thought I still had a few months to chill before having to deal with college acceptance (or rejection) letters. Anyway, we got our first acceptance letter yesterday. Elroy was accepted to Earlham College. This happened only a couple weeks after he sent in his application, what's up with that? Shouldn't the admissions office at least offer the pretense of being selective. This is not to suggest that Elroy doesn't have a pretty good academic record and will likely be accepted by all his choices but still, if the college is going to ask us to pony up 30+ thousand dollars a year to attend I want to feel that there was a rigorous selection process going on. Maybe Elroy mentioned that his uncle went to Earlham and that sealed the deal......anyway, Earlham probably could use a guy like Elroy.

1 comment:

Michael P. Rellahan said...

Congratulations to Elroy!

From,

Famous Earlham alumni!