January 31, 2008

Home Addition Update

January 31st. Well the home renovation project is quickly winding down. The painters have been busy the past three work days. We're keeping the same painting scheme used throughout much of the house....Benjamin Moore paint; ceiling white for the ceiling, dove white (eggshell finish) on the walls and beige (966) for the trim. It is a nice look. We're switching the door color to Mahogony (SW2838), and the doors look spectacular with this color (see picture at right). Wow, I was really happy with the color change on the doors and I will definitely be re-painting our other existing doors once BONI leaves.


Here are updated photos of the outside:
From the same angle as usual.


From the street, also looking at the bedroom addition.



















February 6th.
Today the electrician came and will be installing the lights and ceiling fans we chose earlier. Even though heavy thunderstorms are predicted for later this afternoon, these should be installed when I get home tonight and it will be nice to have extra illumination as I inspect Jason's work every night. Jason was busy yesterday installing steps up to the porch and he may finish that today. I think by next week BONI will be gone and Jane and I can work on her closet, intall window treatments and wait for the carpet to be installed and then move in to our new bedroom. The carpet is from the Liz Claiborne collection, I think the style is called cirque and the color is stone.


February 7th. The shades for the bedroom windows came yesterday and maybe we'll be able to get them hung in the windows this weekend. Jane likes the natural woven shades from Smith & Noble rather than blinds or curtains. In fact, we haven't had much success in the past using curtains. There's a funny story about Jane's attempt to make curtains once when we lived in Connecticut, but I'lll save the story for another time. Jason delayed pouring the concrete footers for the steps off the porch, think it was going to rain.....it didn't rain. So I suppose he'll finish that task today as well as build the railings. The electrician is mostly done installing the light fixtures and fans. He'll be back on Friday and should finish then. There was one slight problem yesterday.....when I renovated the basement last year I patially enclosed the electrical panel such that the electrician couldn't get into the panel to install new circuit breakers. Doh! Jason will have to undue some of my handywork so that when the electrician returns Friday he'll be able to access the electrical panel. I had to sheepisly hang my head when Jason told me this news last night. I never said I was good at remodeling......or even that I know what I'm doing most of the time....only that I work cheap. If you remember this sequence from the movie Mr. Mom.....you have a good idea of my handyman skills.



Ron Richardson: Yeah? Are you gonna make it all 220?

Jack Butler: Yeah. 220... 221, whatever it takes.

No comments: