October 04, 2006

The Absolute Funniest Moment in My Life

This is one of those stories that can only happen to me. Okay, so I'm downstairs in front of my dresser getting dressed for bed. There is a mirror behind the dresser that I'm usually standing in front of when I change into my pajamas. It only shows my upper body and sure I check myself out occasionally. I work out, and besides I'm getting older, and like many older men am battling male boob syndrome, so a breast exam every now and then is not unusual. So I'm liking what I see, there is still some muscle tone underneath my nascent male boobs--that's good. I little more work on the bench press, lose a couple of pounds and I'll be like my hero AHNOLD.
You know AHNOLD, the govenor of CAL-I-FOR-NI-A.
Well I'm in mid chest-flex when I'm startled by this rap on the rear basement window. This particular window, if one was crouched down and intent on peeping, has a perfect view of my dressing area. Now, it's 8:30 at night and pitch-black outside, and I'm squinting my eyes to try and make-out what had made that noise and I see, faintly illuminated by the lights from inside, my daughter's face. A face that is now lit up like a little kid catching Santa Claus placing presents under the tree on Christmas eve. That grin, I'll never be able to forget that grin. I immediately start thinking to myself, this is bad, there's no way I can explain my way out of this. I was caught in the act of admiring myself, which as everyone knows is one of the worst possible crimes a parent can commit in front of one's children.
After I hear her start running toward the back door, I trudge up the steps, go quietly to the bathroom, close the door and try to brush my teeth in silence. Keep a low profile, see what happens. It doesn't take long. By this time she had flown into the house and was breathlessly telling this revelation to her mom and brother. I don't know, maybe it took one or two translations or a few minutes for the witnessed event to actually sink in, but then I heard the their combined howls of laughter. This was bad and getting worse. I knew what was coming next. Taunting. Hey muscle man, I heard. Why don't you come out and pose for us. Well, I'm not really sure what they said I was momentarily paralyzed with shame but soon after was overcome with just how funny the whole situation was. I couldn't stop tearing and laughing.
This all happened yesterday evening. As I'm finishing up this post tonight it's later than I usually stay up. The kids and wife are in bed. So I'll post this story, change into my pajamas and get ready for bed.....umm, but I did have a good workout today. Maybe one quick look.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh how funny. I can just imagine my husband doing this. He's just like you, doing a little weight lifting and then thinking he's a 'big man'. No wonder the kids like to make fun of him.

Jetson said...

Hey, no one is just like me. Glad you enjoyed the post.