October 19, 2006

Airing Out at Airlie Center

I haven't made a post in about a week. Either Elroy or Judy have been using my laptop for homework and I haven't had access. Okay, so I also didn't have much to report. Jane and I went to a work-related meeting last week at the Airlie Center in Virginia. We were there from Wednesday afternoon through Friday morning. Airlie Center is a great place for a getaway meeting; it's located in a pastoral setting just far enough away to be trapped there. My top three events of the meeting were (1) on Friday morning on the way to breakfast, the weather had turned cold after a warm spell and the ponds on the grounds on this morning were steaming. I assume the cold air meeting the warm pond water was generating a wispy fog rising from the surface of the water---whatever the reason it was remarkable to see; (2) a Thursday night walk at this country retreat away from the city lights allowed a impressive view of the starry night sky; lastly, (3) a six mile run through Manassas Battlefield Park.
Oh yeah, the food was as good as buffet food gets and the facilities were better than expected. Alright, the presentations were good too, I got alot out of the experience. We were pretty wiped-out Friday night when we got home and had our usual busy weekend including a great 10+ mile run Saturday morning. The run took about 2 hours and we enjoyed every minute. The weather is really starting to turn cooler, the leaves are almost at their peak for Fall colors. This is the best time to be running through Rock Creek Park. One of my favorite pictures from the Airlie Center is of the Airlie dogs, one of which is below. Give him floppy ears and he would look like Astro.

No comments: