October 20, 2006

Popeye Doyle's Easy Method Driving School

Tomorrow is Judy's County Cross-Country Championship Meet. The top seven runners from each team will go on to the next race in two weeks at a more challenging Regional Meet; the top runners from that race go on to the State Championships. Judy ran both Regional and County Meets last year and did very good--I think she'll likely improve this year. This morning we went out to see the course. Judy met with her team and jogged the course, while Jane and I went for a one hour run around the nearby community. After a short day at work we both came home early to get ready for tomorrow morning--the races start at 8:30 in the morning. I've been resting since I got home; Jane just got back from shopping--got Astro's food and also bought a bunch of candy and ingredients to make chocolate-chip pumpkin muffins to bring to the meet tomorrow morning. Jane is such a good mom! I'll have pictures and race results tomorrow.

Both Elroy and Judy had driving lessons today. They went out for 1-2 hours of driving with an instructor from their driving school, "Popeye Doyle's Easy Method Driving." I don't remember much of my experience learning to drive. Most of the kids I knew in high school took Driver Ed after school and then went out with a teacher a few times. Three of us would crawl into the teacher's car and take turns driving around Finneytown. This one time as we were pulling out of the high school parking lot, the kid who was driving "peeled out"....tires screeching, a little of smoke from the skid marks, the teacher gasping. It was comical at the time and has stuck in my memory. Anyway, I suppose I also went out driving with one of older brother or sisters but really don't recall. I went to the police station in Mt. Healthy or White Oak--I don't remember exactly where--to take both the written and driving test. After the driving test I remember the officer telling me...."okay, you passed the test, but you should really get more experience driving before going out by yourself...you're not very good." Or something to that effect. Funny, but Jane gives me basically the same message any time I'm driving and we're out together. Well, Judy and Elroy should do better, they get about 10 hours with Popeye Doyle and another 60 hours with Jane and I. Sixty hours in the car with a new driver.....Oh! Boy!

No comments: