December 10, 2006

Running Log 12-10-2006

Serious runners keep a daily logbook of the running activities--recording various observations including, weather conditions, distance run, time elapsed, what shoes they were wearing and whether they experienced any physical ailments or noteworthy happenings along the way. There are several reasons, besides obsessing over details, to chart one's training. The most important is to track weekly mileage and types of training runs (speed, hill, or long-slow-distance, LSD) so one can gradually ramp-up weekly mileage and conditioning runs in preparation for a race without getting injured. So, I figure if Jane and I are going to prepare for some running event (still not sure exactly what, where or when), I'd start my own running log so I can chart my training. Therefore, if you reading this, I would seriously consider making better use of your time. These posts (under Running Log) are intended for me, but will be posted on this blog. Anyway, you've been warned!


First, before recounting today's run I want to mention the shoes I use during the week. My newest pair are the Adidas Supernova Cushion. I like the Adidas Supernova series. They fit my feet just right and are a good balance of support and cushion and generally last 4-5 months--which is a good thing. These are now my everyday shoe. I've only had these about a week and in the picture they still look new.


On Saturdays Jane and I run on dirt trails in Rock Creek Park and the shoe I'm currently using for those runs is an Asics (the one with silver and orange stripes). I'm not sure the precise shoe name; I got it at 50% off at our favorite running shoe shop that routinely sells going out-of-stock shoes at discount prices. This shoe is okay for trails but a little hard for running on streets. Asics generally tear my feet to pieces, but I have found these quite refreshing when used on dirt trails. I have another trail shoe I use when the trails are muddy--another Asics, the Gel Trail Attack. This is a dedicated trail shoe with a hard feel, but good knobby undersole for traction. I'll have these a long time since dirt trails are gentle on shoes and runner's bodies.

Lastly, is my occasional street shoe a Nike. I like the Nike Swoosh. All Nike shoes are fun to run in, they're so light and cushiony, but they don't last very long--at least not for me, so I only use this shoe the day after a hard training run as a treat.
Okay, now for today's run. The weather was cold and clear, in the low 30s when we left the house around 7 am. I wore the Adidas shoes and ran 12+ miles mostly along the bike path in Rock Creek Park. Total elapsed time was 2:04:20. My laps were comprised of:
Lap 1: 19:28:27 (~2 miles From the house to the trailhead)
Lap 2: 10:24:43 (1 mile)
Lap 3: 10:01:96 (1 mile)
Lap 4: 9:54:26 (1 mile)
Lap 5: 9:46:84 (1 mile)
Lap 6: 35:23:76 (~31/2 miles detour along the Capital Crescent Trail)
Lap 7: 9:49:37 (1 mile)
Lap 8: 19:31:53 (~2 miles home)
I took a short walk after leaving the bike path at the beginning of Lap 8, but jogged the rest of the way. The final mile I was pretty tired and had shooting pains running down the sides of both legs. Other than that it was a really good run I felt fine.

No comments: